How to Grow in the Creative Industry
Al Grehan is a Digital Designer and Content Executive at AIG – he shares his top tips for how to grow in the Creative Industry. To read the full article please click here
Last year I was working for a start-up agency just outside London. I feel nowadays ‘start-up’ is a cursed phrase. However, working for a start-up as my first job out of University was one of the best decisions I had ever made. Working for start-ups is a unique experience, at times it almost feels like the blind leading the blind and some of the work will be as pointless as it is ridiculous. Ultimately what is important is what you learn, whether that’s how to do things or how not to.
I got every ounce of experience I could from the start-up and when the time was right I moved on. I now work for one of the biggest brands in the world and yet again find myself lacking in knowledge and feeling the fears of not being good enough but that’s part of the process – it’s exciting.
The learning never stops and when it does, you’ll be bored out of your mind.
My top tips to Grow in the Creative Industry are;
- Proactive Learning – Go on courses. I went on an app design course and the benefits were huge both technically and professionally.
- Ask questions – you’ll learn a lot from experienced professionals.
- Try new things – don’t be afraid to fail. If you’re a designer try and do a little coding.
- Be as diverse as possible – the industry today requires us all to have knowledge on many things. If you specialise in Design, learn about marketing or mobile or social. This will benefit you greatly and improve your employability.
- Finally, be proactive – ask questions, always try to improve and most importantly – be positive.
Have a question about gaining that all important experience in Creative? Speak to one of our creative consultants