A technology studio, who specialise in ethical and practical uses of data are on the lookout for a Technologist to join their expanding team.
They’re working in with lots of exciting up and coming technologies, including AI and smart cities. Rather than engaging in the hype around these new technologies though they’re looking for practical solutions and are doing well – they’ve been profit making since their founding 3 and a half years ago!
Working in an emerging field they look at how to create prototypes and services that use technology in ways that are in service to people, not solely profit. They work with a variety of businesses, including public sector, charities and large companies.
As a company they work in an R&D style environment, with this role being a combination of coding and consultancy (with an emphasis on the latter). They are looking for someone to join who can spot a business opportunity whilst the product is in production.
What are they looking for?
- The ability to digest technical concepts (end-to-end encryption, differential privacy etc.) and talk about them in layman’s terms.
- You’ll easily be able to understand client problems and make technical recommendations as to how certain technologies could enhance their capability.
- You’ll work effectively in an R&D environment, building rapid prototypes and developing innovative digital services.
- Very strong client and stakeholder management, with strong opinions on how to build systems.
- An understanding of the trade offs involved with designing software architecture and which tools to use.
- A knowledge of web standards: HTML5, CSS3 and emerging standards, such as ActivityPub.
- You’ll need to understand Machine Learning technologies, such as neural nets and learning theory.
- Someone who keeps up to date with the latest technology trends.
- The ability to make strategic technical choices, taking into account several things; impact on users, project needs and client needs among others.
- Lead, develop, innovate and own the company’s technology and processes to ensure best practice, whilst building a culture of continuous improvement.
- Provide technical vision for client work and internal products.
- Prototype in code and drawing technical architecture.
- Work with team members on both design and development tasks.
- Connect with technical clients and sell in new work.
- Provide effective leadership and technical management across several teams, by providing honest feedback and helping people to understand the company’s values.
- Design the software development process for the team, including testing strategy, coding style guides, build and release engineering etc.
- Review internal technology and systems to continually improve performance and efficiency.
Salary: Circa £90K, though would go higher for the ideal person.
- 20 days holiday, plus a week off at Christmas and in August, and bank holidays.
- Early finish on Fridays!
- Cycle to work scheme and monthly catered lunch.
- Training and development – the team often attend conferences together.
- Day retreats.
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes parents, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day for work.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to be part of life at Zebra People. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.