Our client is looking for a Principal Developer to join them for an initial 3-6 months in the Philippines before going 100% remote.
They’re a financial technology lender that provides strong businesses with supply chain financing, enabling them to meet larger clients demands as well as improving their overall market position. With a mission of providing sustainable capital provision that enables business to prosper, expand and improve the livelihoods of SME owners and their employees, mainly targeted at growth markets with financial services. The overarching vision is to create a meritocracy for SME financial services in Southeast Asia growth markets.
Your role will be to support the CTO to create and sustain a high performing, high output, world class software development team. You’ll do this by providing and sharing technical expertise, insights and vision as they scale.
The role is expected to have a large impact on the success of the organisation. You’ll be expected to be capable of identifying weakness and opportunity for the platform, sharing that vision, getting buy-in from the team and executing.
This is an important role but isn’t just focused on ‘the code,’ it’s about being a force multiplier for the whole department – ensuring that they’re aligned on what they are doing, reminding people of why certain processes exist and helping everyone to level up.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serves as the Lead Architect and owner of the company’s core Ruby on Rails API application. Understands their business activities/priorities well enough to smartly compose our application and codebase structure to reflect.
- Sets and advocates strong standards for the core codebase, including database architecture, service composition and performance optimisation.
- Day-to-day: Spends a portion of time working on product development as a member of one of the existing Engineering teams (Growth – Origination – Unit profitability).
- Mentors and trains other engineers. Facilitates technical workshops with the aim of empowering the engineering teams to move fast.
- Assists with recruiting efforts – owns the interview process for new engineers and makes the final call on who is hired.
- Lead the technical transition from single market, single codebase to multi-market, multiple codebase. Devise smart technical transition which empowers teams in both regions and allows architecture sharing.
Knowledge and Experience;
- 7 + years building web software. 4+ on a mid to large scale, high performing team.
- Expert level knowledge of: Postgres, ActiveRecord, Ruby on Rails fundamentals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong interest in leadership and mentorship.
- Solid understanding of Computer Science fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design and problem solving.
- Deep knowledge of all the components of a web application, from optimizing a Postgres query to configuring HTTP headers in nginx.
- Experience working with these guy’s DevOps/Infra setup – Cloud66, Digital Ocean, Datadog.
- Principal level frontend experience.
- Strong ES6 and React/Redux knowledge.
Salary: Circa £90K, though will go higher for the ideal candidate.
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes women, men, mothers, fathers, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day for work.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to be part of life at Zebra People. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.