By creating a system of intelligent products this Edinburgh based company has rethought how to care for your loved ones.
Targeted at older adults their product enables them to feel safe and at ease in their own home, as well as giving their relatives and friends peace of mind that this is the case.
Essentially, it alerts carers of any immediate concerns but also helps preventable incidents and supports general wellbeing. It’s simply installed and is unobtrusive to use. It’s also flexible, connectable to wi-fi and 3G if that’s unavailable.
Ideally you’ll be based a commutable distance from Edinburgh, though they are happy for you to work from home for the bulk of your time.
For this position they need someone to be responsible for the embedded software development in the device. You’ll be working on cutting edge solutions, with wireless technologies including Bluetooth, Cellular IoT, BLE and ILEEE 868.
As part of the role, you’d be:
- Carry out software development following an agile process
- Carry out code reviews of existing software
- Verification and testing, triage of bugs to support hardware partner
- Prepare necessary documents, write unit tests
- Design, implement, test and debug embedded systems software
- Develop test protocols and procedures for design verification
- Work with Product Owner to estimate project effort
- Investigate, recommend and implement new technologies and processes
- Develop and Architect solutions to deliver products for web, IoT and
- Drive the evolution of our APIs to solve customer problems.
- Design and develop code with performance, usability, maintainability and security in mind
- Promote a culture of best practice in software development
- Continuously discover, evaluate, and implement new technologies to maximise efficiency
- Create and maintain internal technical documentation for deliverables
- Knowledge of Embedded C language and using Simplicity Studio
- Rich knowledge of MCU peripheral and interface drivers (e.g., SPI, I2C, UART, ADC, PWM)
- Wireless industry knowledge or experience that includes one or more of the following wireless software protocols is strongly desired: Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, BLE, Thread and other Silicon Labs stacks
- Low battery consumption development is important
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 5 years + building embedded firmware using C++
- Experience of large-scale, distributed systems and service-oriented architectures
- Embedded C++ for Simplicity Studio v4.0
- You must be comfortable with rapid development in a Scrum / Agile environment and iterating based on market and customer feedback
- You should have experience in a fast paced technology company, preferably a start-up
And as a bonus it would be great if you’ve got Android experience, ideally in Java and Kotlin. A degree would be nice, though they’re looking at the structure of your code first and foremost.
They’re offering a salary of up to £70K and offering the chance to work on a product that could revolutionize the way the care system works.
We welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences. Our team includes parents, the self-taught, the university-educated, and people of a wide variety of nationalities, ages, and socio-economic backgrounds.
Obviously, we’re looking to ensure it’s a solid fit from both sides: we want you to step into a role you love, and we want to offer you a place you’re proud to come to every day for work.
We know that diverse teams are strong teams, and welcome those with alternative identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply to be part of life at Zebra People. We are committed to a fair and accessible recruitment process for all candidates. We would be happy to meet any accommodation requests during the application or interview process, please just let us know.