UX/UI Designer – Innovation Studio for future looking Bank
UX//UI Designer for Bank in London – £40,000 - £50,000
An amazing opportunity has come up to join was of London's most forward thinking banks working in their innovation studio. The innovation Studio is where the magic happens and it was set up to explore and define the future of what a bank is and does and in doing so, create new products and services that keep the bank relevant as the financial sector becomes disrupted.
If you are a talented User Experience designer looking for a new opportunity, please read on as this is one of the cooler openings we've had this year so far....
Is an international financial services provider engaged in personal banking, credit cards, corporate and investment banking and wealth management with an extensive global presence.They have impressive history and expertise in banking and employs approximately 150,000 people world wide.
The UX Designer role lies within their Digital Design team in London that provides the Bank with market-disrupting design and digital product innovation.
They leverage expertise from across the business in customer insight, technology and products to rapidly develop and progress innovative ideas and solutions to meet their customer needs. They are extremely collaborative and strive to integrate innovation.
The Bank are heavily invested in the team andtruely beleive that breakthrough digital propositions created will ensure we retain and attract new customers and increase product penetration with existing customers and clients.
The range of projects is vast; from being instrumental in designing a new platform that will be used by 150,000 people as a market place for innovation and ideas to native and transactional mobile apps and physical products. Keeping an eye on the ever changing digital landscape the team does R&D work around the next generation interfaces, looking at how AI (artificial intelligence) might supersede touch and screen based interfaces.
The Role as UX//UI Designer
You will be part of an interdisciplinary team of designers (Interaction (UI), User Experience (UX) and Visual) working collaboratively alongside developers and product owners to create and deliver live releases.
You will have two primary focuses. Firstly, leading and inspiring other User Experience Designers in the team. Secondly, hands on direct contribution to creating and shaping the user experience, considering on and off screen interactions, wider context and experience.
You will help ensure that design effort is broader than detailed UI interactions and visual design. You will be designing across iOS, Android and Windows platforms, ensuring customer and business requirements are translated into beautiful, engaging, functional and usable user interfaces and service.
Main Responsibilities & Duties include:
Hands on design (approx. 80% of time)
- Work with the team to deeply understand customer needs and characteristics; business objectives and outcomes to be delivered.
- Help understand, develop and capture new features/utility that form each development release.
- Oversee, inspire and coordinate other User Experience designers in the team.
- Responsible for ensuring the delivery of user experience specifications and documents for developers.
- Responsible for setting the direction and pushing the quality (bar) of user experience.
- Lead the scoping and execution of user research, testing and interviews to develop insights that shape the proposition, experience, interaction patterns and design decisions.
- Lead the planning and hosting of stakeholder and customer workshops.
- Lead planning and execution of competitor benchmarking and other research scans that inform the Design and wider team.
- Help design for context and wider experience and not just UI. Communicate user experiences through journey maps, service blueprints and storyboards.
- Create design concepts and prototypes that explore and address user needs and incorporate new functionality into the service in terms of UI and the wider contextual experience.
- Work collaboratively with Interaction (UI) and Visual designers in the team from initial ideas through to development of final designs.
- Ensuring that design language, particularly interaction and experience patterns, are incorporated into new releases.
- Work closely with developers to ensure user experience intent (UI/UX) is translated into the UI.
- Contribute to a library of interaction patterns and standards.
- Help consider the evolution of the service’s user experience in the context of the wider ecosystem and offerings.
Project/stakeholder management (approx. 10% of time)
- Support the Principal Designer and team devise and communicate design approach, process and timelines to business stakeholders.
- Play an active role in the planning and scoping of each release to ensure design effort/sizing estimates are accurate.
- Help the Project Manager provide updates to stakeholders on visual design as part of reporting cycles.
- Help present to senior stakeholders, including C-suite executives.
Personal and Professional Development (approx. 10%)
- Mentor user experience designers and encourage a learning and sharing culture.
- Stay abreast of digital, mobile, user experience, UI, visual and technology trends. In particular those relating to iOS, Android and Windows platforms.
- Stay abreast of latest design methodologies and thinking.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the brand and design language.
Help contribute to a creating collaborative, knowledge sharing work environment.
To land the role of UX Designer you will have a Masters or Degree in a Design discipline such as Graphic, Interaction, Product, Industrial, Digital Design.
- Extensive experience of leading user experience designers working on mobile applications and services.
- Previous experience of designing and launching mobile applications for at least one of the following platforms, iOS, Windows or Android.
- Ideally a portfolio of award-winning work.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering projects on time, budget and specification.
- Previous experience of designing other digital services and presences highly desirable e.g. websites, responsive design, software.
- A deep understanding of the end-to-end design process with a broad spectrum of hands-on skills including user interviews, storyboarding, facilitating workshops, wireframing, prototyping, and usability testing.
- Experience of working with agile, lean and iterative development processes.
- Experience of using iterative prototyping and user testing to inform and refine interaction designs.
- Experience of implementing brand guidelines.
- Deep understanding and appreciation for User Experience and Interactions for digital interfaces, in particular mobile UI.
- Professional understanding of the end-to-end process of developing mobile apps.
- Professional, up to date, understanding of design techniques, approaches and methodologies relating to the development of mobile apps and digital services, including agile and lean design processes for digital.
- Deep understanding of the application and development of design principals that underpin creating digital user experiences and services e.g mental and behavioural models.
- Fluent in relevant design tools such as, Axure, Adobe Creative Suite.
- Professional knowledge of user testing methodologies.
- Ability to communicate ideas visually and produce engaging presentations.
- Ability to create clickable and interactive digital prototypes for mobile devices.
- Awareness of new and emerging design trends and patterns.
- Deep understanding of iOS, Windows and Android operating systems.
- Understanding of Browsers, HTML, CSS, Java and other relevant digital technologies.
- Problem-solving skills – think creatively in order to find solutions (for example, relating to design choices, team set up, prioritization.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Confident in one-on-one, large audience and senior stakeholder interactions.
- Interest and participation in professional industry groups, conferences, speaking engagements, publications or teaching.
Additional desirable skills/experience
- Previous experience of leading entire interdisciplinary design teams desirable, i.e. an ability to lead beyond your domain of expertise.
- Ability to code HTML, CSS, Java and use frameworks like Bootstrap advantageous.
- Attention to detail
- Passionate about making technology useful, accessible and meaningful
- Passionate about mobile devices
- Hungry to ship things into the real world and put things in customers’ hands.